Thursday, February 24, 2011

How did you receive Him?

The continuing story
This weekend we will be driving north, to Merced, CA, to attend a wedding. I have never attended an American wedding, so needless to say I am pretty excited about it. After the ceremony in church there is a reception, a word derived from the verb to receive (to welcome, to accept). The newly weds will welcome their guests for a dinner and party and they will receive gifts.

The other day I was reading in the book of Colossians and it talked about receiving Jesus. The apostle Paul writes in the second chapter, verse 6, So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord... I stopped there and pondered... how did I receive Him? How did I welcome and accept Him? Was it a decision in faith? A conscious decision or an emotional moment? Did I feel pressured or forced or reluctant? Was I glad or nervous? While thinking about the biggest decision in my life, I realized that the moment of welcoming Jesus as Lord in ones life probably is different for everyone! In my case (I must have been kind of stubborn because it took me almost 40 years to surrender my heart) it was acceptance on purpose. I let Him in and take over, and my life has never been the same again!

Maybe your story is a different one. It doesn't really matter how we came to receive Him, it matters how we continue! Paul gives us four practical points for a continued life with Jesus: So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue
  • to live in Him, remember that in Him we live and move and have our being (Acts 17:28)
  • rooted and built up in Him, remember that we are indeed rooted and established in love (Ephesians 3:17)
  • strengthened in the faith as you were taught, remember that we will be strengthened according to His Word (Psalm 119:28), and
  • overflowing with thankfulness, remember that out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks (Matthew 12:34)
I love Paul's practical lessons, they inspire and encourage me and it is my pleasure to share them with you!

6 comments:

  1. I would have to say that I was 'scared' into it at first. I heard a message about hell and it frightened me. As time went on though, the Lord wooed me and romanced me into being His...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was alone in my bedroom reading a Bible tract and I said the prayer on the back. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marja -

    I went forward when an invitation was given at my church. My grandfather went with me.

    Have a wonderful time at the wedding! I hope you'll let us know what you thought of an American wedding. :)

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marja ~ I use to work in Merced!! Was born and raised not far from there. Have a great time :-)

    I don't ever remember a time of not believing in God. I have never doubted that He was/is. When a Christian rock ban came and played at an assembly at my highschool (can you imagine that today?!), they gave an invitation for kids to come to a Chi-Alpha meeting that night at a house. I went and when an invitation was given to be saved I raised my hand and said a prayer with a gal there.

    I sprang up fast with much enthusiasm and my life drastically changed! Then as time went on and storms tossed against me I fell away. I had no real root in me (like the parable). I was shallow.

    Through many trials and sorrows I came to a place of finally having a restored and reconciled relationship with the Father. It wasn't easy (on my part), I could not get over my own guilt and shame. During the separation I can say that He was always with me... HE was faithful.

    Now I never ever ever want to disappoint Him again. I want to grow up deep :-)

    Thanks for the opportunity to share Marja. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how great to read all those different stories, I love it!! God is so good. Thanks Lorrie for sharing that with us, now I know how you came to the name of your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by to say you have a blog award waiting at
    http://ladyonaroof.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.