Friday, February 11, 2011

Remind, refresh and remember

Words jumping off the page...
I am a word freak! I love reading, I love writing, I love words. Most of all, I love the Word of God! My Bible looks like a workbook with countless colored markings, underlinings, bullets and personal notes. Sometimes, while reading a familiar scripture, certain words just jump off the page and that's the moment I know the Holy Spirit wants to show me something. The other day I was reading 2 Peter 1:12-15 and three words caught my attention: remind, refresh and remember. They all start with an R, so they're easy to memorize. In this passage of Scripture Peter adresses believers and warns them to make their calling and election sure. He summarizes;
So, I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have. I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things.
Personalized, his writing comes down to this:
  • We need to be reminded, even about things we already know. Jesus said in John 14:26, The Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
  • It is right to refresh each other's memory. Proverbs 11:25 says, he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed. As Christian bloggers this is what we do all the time!
  • We should make every effort to remember what God and our faith are all about. Psalm 77:11 says, I will remember the deeds of the Lord. We must purposely be willing to do so!
Remind, refresh and remember, these words tell me that we can never hear the essentials of our faith enough! That is why we need to read God's Word every day, that is why we need to listen to the Holy Spirit every day and that is why we need each other every day!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marja -

    Amen! A good word for a Friday.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good post, Marja. Remind, refresh, remember. That will help me to remember and I need constant refreshment.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.