Saturday, October 02, 2021

Writing as love language

I once got a diary for my birthday. I don't remember how old I was... maybe 8 or 9. It was one of those diaries with a golden lock on it. You could trust your secrets to paper and no one could get to them. I loved it!

For years I wrote many of my childish and (later) adolescent thoughts in such diaries. When we moved to another house, I threw them all away. The thought of anyone reading my secrets was downright embarrassing.

When I became a believer about twenty years ago, I started writing again. It's called journaling these days. I have already filled quite a few notebooks. And yes, I definitely read back from time to time. It's interesting to see what I was worried about ten years ago, what I had questions about, or what I prayed for. Most things turned out well 😁

Over the years, my writing has, in reality, become talking with God. It has become the love language between Him and me. When I make a journal entry it usually starts with me talking about what's on my mind. When I am halfway the page I often notice that I no longer write down what I think, but what God wants to say to me. You can see this change in perspective quite often in the psalms.

👉 My pen becomes His instrument in my hands, as it were. Whenever it is hard for me to hear His still small voice, I'll write. Do you recognize that?

Even if you don't like writing, you should start... just to have one of those beautiful journals from Flame Tree!

10 comments:

  1. I like the thought of your journals being your love language with God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did not start out like that :) but I have noticed I feel very close to Him when I write, ponder and listen!

      Delete
  2. Good to maintain such links with God.
    I managed to keep a diary one year and I was very relieved when 31 December arrived. Perhaps I should try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, maybe you were too hard on yourself. I do not write daily, it is not a must. But I notice I desire to so, so I can hear Him better! You might get new inspiration for your poems!

      Delete
  3. I don't keep a journal per se, Marja, although I used to. Now, it seems, whenever I write for my blog, I feel the closest to the Lord. So yes, writing is my love language shared with Him, too. He always inspires me!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would be yours as well :) It is when we use our giftings that we are close to His heart, He always wants to speak to and through us! Blessings.

      Delete
  4. Marja: I started journaling as a form of personal therapy. I was in rather deep depression and could express myself through pen and paper rather than orally. My family would not have understood. Sometimes, I get away from it but something always draws me back. Right now I am journaling scriptures connected to the Fruit of the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Cecelia, the thought just came to me that the Bible was written by people who journaled, wrote letters, took notes, composed songs, and collected valuable words. God wrote His commandments with his finger, even writes His laws on our hearts. Writing is an expression of His heart, for sure. I love your idea of journaling scriptures connected to the fruit of the Spirit.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful story and testimony of your love language with God through writing !! I love the special locked diaries from Flame tree! will check them out!! Praise God how His Holy Spirit loves to engage with us in creative ways!! Praise God! Blessings and happy writing!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, His creative ways to engage with us are endless, I believe so. For me it is writing, but for others it might be singing or painting or gardening!

      Delete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.