Friday, May 01, 2020

This troubled world

Last week I received a message from a friend in northern Italy. Shortly after the government restrictions were imposed, she lost her job. 'Can I translate another book for you,' she texted, 'that will give me something to do.'

I proposed the translation of Spirit of Truth to which she responded: 'Boy, do we ever need that now!' And so she went to work on that one. When I picked up the book from my library, I noticed the subtitle... almost as if for the first time, since the book came out 4 years ago:

Finding certainty and standing firm in a troubled world.

A troubled world? Back in 2016? You gotta be kidding, right? Wasn't life a picnic back then? Well, no, not exactly. 2016 was a year full of disasters, from deadly earthquakes, terror attacks, life-depleting droughts, devastating storms, to unceasing wars. Many thought the end was near. But here we are...

Up until now 2020 is no picnic either. We are still in this troubled world, trying to make sense of it all and, who knows, trying to find truth in it all. Four years from now, we will find ourselves facing new challenges in a world that knows no lack of trouble. 👉We better get used to it.

Jesus said: In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world (John 16:33). You will have... so, let's not try to escape, let's try to cope.

I think this is the art of faith... having peace in perilous times, trust while in trouble, and joy when all we know and have is in jeopardy.

Together with Jesus, we can overcome the world. Why refuse His outstretched hand? We have nowhere else to go.

6 comments:

  1. Dank je. Goede evenwichtige blog met mooie boodschap

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, we will have trouble in this world, but Jesus is there to comfort and guide us every step of the way.
    Blessings, Marja!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the good message at the end of the passage, "But take heart, I have overcome the world." Each of us had personal issues that seem to vex us. But God is still in control. World-wide, we face this pandemic and, yet, we have to somehow keep going. May God's presence be with each of us as we await the outcome of our personal and world-wide issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes Cecelia, I have overcome the world Jesus said and these words are such a comfort for all of us. He does not panic, He does not fret or worry, He has overcome! Thank you my dear for sharing your thoughts.

      Delete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.