Tuesday, August 18, 2009

When facing tough situations

Keep it simple
Everytime I face a difficult or tough situation, it seems I need more words to beg and plead my case with the Almighty. I find myself reasoning, debating and desperately trying to find an explanation or answer. Well, maybe that is just me... But isn't it true that we sometimes feel we have to explain things to God? Our prayers get longer and more complicated, sometimes to the point where we don't remember what our initial question was! My mentor always says 'keep it simple', and again and again that proves to be the right thing to do and the inspiration to develop an attitude like that comes straight from the Bible.
As always, Jesus is my ultimate example in this. The other day I was reading in Luke 5:12-16 how He met with a guy who was covered with leprosy. Well, if you've ever been in India, you'll know what leprosy looks like and personally I have never seen anyone being healed from that disease. Now, this certain man asks Jesus to make him clean. If that isn't a tough situation, what is? However, Jesus keeps it simple and uses three words to explain divine healing: I am willing.
Ouch, I wish I had come up with a theology like that! His answer is awesome! The actual prayer that follows His statement is even shorter, more simple... be clean! No discussion, no pleading, no crying, no begging. Just authority!
So much to learn from such a short story. Please, remember this encounter the next time you face something that seems impossible to overcome or conquer, and keep it simple!

5 comments:

  1. I've got to get the hang of this! I need to keep it simple for two reasons.
    One is that I tend to be a prayer worrier instead of a prayer warrior,
    and secondly by following the worrying path I tend to explain to God in great detail what I want Him to do to help the friend I am concerned about. This is all the more important since my friend never takes my advice. (not you!)
    Blessings, and I need more lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write these lessons in the first place for myself :) thanks to the internet we can encourage one another as well with the words God gives us, that is such a blessing Wyn! You are a faithful friend !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:36 AM

    The older I get, the more I realize that what you say is true: keep it simple. Sometimes we complicate our lives, when all God requires is that we repent of our sins and believe in Him for everlasting life. And if we do that, our lives will just naturally reflect it. God bless you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Marja, like I say, "People say what THEY need to hear." Love u, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sandra, good to hear from you. I'll be flying back to your side of the world next week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.