Monday, March 07, 2011

Got news?

How beautiful are the feet...
Thanks to modern media it is possible to easily communicate with family and friends overseas. I call, e-mail, Facebook and blog my way around the world and I love it! Topics of  discussion include the weather, my books, our travels and lately... the political turmoil around the world. "Have you seen the news? Have you heard the news?" are questions I frequently hear, mostly followed by concerns and fears about the future of the world. The other day I couldn't help but think about the words in Psalm 112, Blessed is the man who fears the Lord.... He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord (verse 7).

Bad news penetrates our society 24/7. Civil wars, uprisings, political turmoil, recession and natural disaster; not a day goes by without a constant stream of bad news on television, radio, internet and in the news papers. Although all these things are a reality, they are not the truth. The truth is God's Word and the Word says we do not have to fear bad news. Let me take it a step further, the Word says we have to spread good news! Jesus set the example when He went around, preaching the good news of the Kingdom (Math. 4:23). In Luke 4:43 He says: I must preach the good news of the kingdom of God. As a matter of fact it was all He did after His resurrection. The Book of Acts proclaims: He appeared to them over a period of 40 days and spoke about the kingdom of God (Acts 1:3).

Jesus was a bringer of good news, He knew the words of the prophet Isaiah, 'how beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news'. I truly believe we should take heed to the calling and be messengers of the good news of the kingdom, instead of listening to and spreading all the bad news the world has to offer. The apostle Paul explains in detail what the message of the Kingdom should be: The kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit (Romans 14:17). Let that be the news we deliver, let that be the news we post and proclaim! I am not afraid to say that our days, our week, our life will be so much better if we decide to spread good news in stead of listening to bad news!

7 comments:

  1. OH, thank you dear sister for echoing my thoughts! How many times did Jesus say "Do not fear."? We need to show the world that God changes hearts from fearful to trusting, because He will take care of His own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jeanette for your awesome input, the icing on the cake!! I appreciate you stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's SO important to focus on the truth of God's Word - otherwise, it's too easy to get depressed looking at all that's going on in the world around us! Love the list of things to think on listed by the Apostle Paul: things that are- true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous, praiseworthy! I'm not to be conformed to the world, but rather transformed by the renewing of my mind! Thanks for the reminder! Hugs and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not even watch or read the news because it is just too much and too depressing all the time. Blogging news is so much happier usually. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Marja, very timely! We/I really need to strengthen ourselves with these truths. I am going to commit to memory Psalm 112:7... perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria! I love what you added, yes!! The words of the apostle Paul, let's keep those things in ind. Thanks for your valuable input!

    Diane, I am with you. In our house in Holland we don't even have a tv, we read no news papers and do not listen to the news. Whatever news I gather is from the internet! I am not ignorant to world events, but I purposely choose to fill my mind and heart otherwise! Thanks, my friend.

    Hi Lorrie, indeed a very good and timely scripture to memorize :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. Good news is the better choice! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.