Monday, May 15, 2023

The value of listening (1)

Too many chiefs and no Indians. When we were in the USA, I have heard people say that often. I would like to give that saying a twist:  Too many talkers and not enough listeners.

Now, if the world would just be filled with listeners, it would get awfully quiet (well, we might finally hear the birds!). Of course, there is nothing wrong with talking... but we want our words to count, right?

Let's be honest here, there is way too much foolish and obscene talk, way too much lying and manipulating, and there are way too many useless words spoken. Let's make it our goal to speak truth with power!

👉I truly believe that being an influential speaker starts with listening. That is, listening to God's voice, to His words (I am still learning!). And since we are kind of losing the art of listening, I decided to do a blog series on the value of listening.

I will base this series on several verses in the Book of Proverbs and I will be using the New Living Translation (NLT) in case you want to read along. The short posts will surely inspire and encourage you and maybe even ignite a deeper longing to sit at His feet and listen. I hope you will join me. Proverbs 1:5 says:

Let the wise listen to these proverbs and become even wiser. Let those with understanding receive guidance.

2 comments:

  1. Marja: This is a condition that we here in the USA seem to have: we talk more than we listen. I have learned to try to be a good listener, but it is difficult to find someone else to listen when I need them to. I had to tell a friend once that I needed her to listen. She understood why when I finished talking. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most peope like talking more than listening, yet listening is a virtue we can adapt and learn to use. I am sure your are a good listener (hence the name quiet spirit) and it can be hurtful when others do not return the favor of listening to you. My blogseries will be about listening to God's voice.

      Delete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.