Sunday, October 07, 2018

God, a mystery revealed (1)

The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” [Psalm 14:1]

How often has it been said that the atheist actually denies the very God, he/she is angry with? The denial of a God who created the heavens, earth and humanity is leaving many (young) people in an existential crisis. If there is no God, there is no purpose and if there is no purpose, there is no hope.

But let's say God exists, then who is He? Has He made Himself known to His creation or can we conveniently make up our own god(s)? The latter has resulted in a smörgåsbord of opinions, pictures and images of God. It seems that the more we advance in time and knowledge, the lesser we understand who He really is.

I grew up in a Christian family. That doesn't mean, I automatically had a clear picture of God. He was real but distant. When I seriously began to read my Bible, I started to get to know Him better. In this blog series I will share some of the things the Bible teaches about God. Actually, I will share one of my favorite parts: Colossians 1:15-20. The sub heading reads The supremacy of Christ. It will bless your socks off, I promise!

It starts like this:

Christ is the visible image of the invisible God.

Such depth in one simple sentence, incredible! This is the key to knowing God. Jesus Christ has revealed the invisible (mysterious) God. We do not have to make up our own image, we can simply look at the life of Jesus if we want to know who God really is. If you have never done so, grab a Bible and read the Gospel of John or see the movie with the same name. You will find out for yourself whether there is truth in the words above or not.

5 comments:

  1. Marja: A little over a year ago, I heard a speaker at a writing conference speak on,"What If John Hadn't Written?" I came home and read the gospel of John. There are bits of information we would not have if John hadn't recorded them. Peace and Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently reading the Gospel of John again Cecelia, I keep finding new things I had not noticed before :) Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:45 AM

    Hi Marja, I'm looking forward to this series.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy, I will be posting irregular... but I am glad you will be reading along.

      Delete
  4. Loved readding this thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.