Tuesday, September 11, 2018

A writer's glorious blues

Musing over a blog post? Re-writing an article for the umpteenth time? Discouraged about a book-deal gone wrong? Well... most of us have been there. We procrastinated. We failed and tried again. We cried and picked up the pieces... again.

And so the story of our writing journey continues. 👉Who knows we are writing life stories for a next generation that is growing up with smart phone language and emoticons. Although some people will never read a book in their life, let alone write one, one day someone will be inspired and motivated by the words we are putting on paper.

I must have been 5 or 6 years old when I knew I loved reading and writing. I ran up and down to the local library several times a week to get new books. I wrote little journals, diaries and short stories at a very early age. God put it in me, I just know that for sure.

Back in 2006 my first book was published in the USA. It has been a long and bumpy road ever since. I have doubted my calling. I have had writer's block. I have been discouraged a thousand times. I wanted to quit several times. But you know what? I am still here and I am still writing. Even if no one would ever read my stuff, even if no one would ever buy one of my books... I would still write. Simply because it is what I love to do.

I am getting used to the up's and down's this journey brings. I learn from my mistakes and I cherish the highlights.

I entered my latest book In My Name in the Reader's Favorite 2018 Awards. Knowing that they receive thousands upon thousands of entries in more than 140 categories I knew I needed God's favor to be noticed. But a girl can ask, right?

My book did not win an award. But I am thankful to announce that In My Name was a finalist in the category Christian - Devotions and Bible Studies. Such moments make the writer's blues glorious again. We get pushed forward, we believe we can do one more article, one more blog or yet another book :)

Thank you readers, thank you bloggers. Let's continue to encourage one another!

My heart is stirred by a noble theme as I recite my verses for the king; my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer [Psalm 45:1]

4 comments:

  1. Hello Marja. Congratulations on In My Name being a finalist. That is wonderful. Oh trust me, I know the ups and downs of being a writer. I've been writing all of my life. To me, it is like breathing. When I stop writing, life will end. ha! (Quite dramatic, I know.) Thanks for stopping by my blog today. The "table cover" is square. That is why I don't think it's a shawl. I don't know how one would wear it as a shawl, due to its shape. Take care and stop by any time. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, thank you for your kind words. Write or die, yeah, haha! Quite dramatic indeed.
      They fold the square shawl in a triangle and drape it around the shoulders. But maybe it is a table cloth :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your book's being named a finalist. It is an excellent book. Writing for the LORD is an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Cecelia, it is an adventure indeed!

      Delete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.