Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Give me an L

In my Bible alphabet blog series L stands for Love.

Love. What comes to mind when we think about that word? Being kind to one another, tolerance, being in love, motherly love, charity ...?

We probably think of these different forms of human love, but Biblical love is supernatural love. That's not being in love, not a feeling, but love as choice.

God has made that choice: For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16).

He therewith demonstrates the most beautiful and most difficult love there is, that is,
  • loving your neighbor as yourself
  • loving your enemies and bless them
  • loving those who persecute you
  • loving unto death
God desires to transfer this heart-rending love to mankind, to you and me. If we look around us, it seems impossible to treat God and each other that way .... but the Bible says love never fails!

Dear friends, let us love one another, because love comes from God. Whoever loves is a child of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love. And God showed his love for us by sending his only Son into the world, so that we might have life through him. This is what love is: it is not that we have loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the means by which our sins are forgiven (1 John 4: 7-10).

We can discuss it, debate it, sing songs and write poems, but the big change starts with our acceptance of His love!


Up next, giveaway of my new release Spirit of Truth!

6 comments:

  1. My husband and I were discussing this topic just this morning - as far as loving your neighbor. I confess to be a work in progress in this area, and am so grateful for God's unconditional love for me. Good things to ponder today, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Karen, I am a work in progress too :) I preach to myself when I write my blog posts!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous2:30 AM

    Hi Marja, Love has been something I am working on too. Those few verses in 1 Corinth 13, 4 - 8, I have written down and try to read them to myself everyday (trying...) to try get it into my head and heart so that love, God's love, becomes a bigger part of me than it currently is!
    Great post
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy, just the other day I asked God 'how can I love You?' and He basically answered with 1 Cor. 13:4-8.... treating others that way is loving God.

      Delete
  3. My uncle always teaches that love is central to the fruit of the Spirit. All the other qualities come from that main hub. If you love, you'll be patient, kind, gentle, have self-control, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Susan, it is the main hub!

      Delete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.