Friday, May 27, 2022

Rulers of this world

It shouldn't surprise us anymore that the rulers of this world mainly exalt themselves and thus ignore God. It has been like this for thousands of years, there is nothing new under the sun.

Rulers and leaders of countries (yes even tiny countries like the Netherlands, where I live) and worldly organizations have been given (or taken) positions of importance, even though one scandal after the other surrounds them, with no one taking proper responsibility.

Although the Bible says that, in general, authority has been given by God, many do not represent God or the people for that matter, but only themselves and their far-out ideas and world views. Thousands of years ago, the Psalmist figured out what was behind such attitudes:

Why are the nations in an uproar, the peoples grumbling in vain? The earth’s kings are taking positions, leaders conspiring together, against Adonai and his anointed (Psalm 2:1-2).

👉How foolish of leaders and rulers to plot/conspire against God in their endless pride. If we look at history, none of them ended well. King David (himself a leader) wrote about this:

Fools say in their hearts, “There is no God.” They deal corruptly, their deeds are vile, not one does what is right (Psalm 14:1).

Perhaps even more foolish is the fact that these 'rulers' can only continue to function as long as they can count on servile subjects, people who do exactly whatever they prescribe. We have to be alert and awake! We can serve only one lord: God or the world. This is a choice everyone will have to make at some point in life

This morning I was thinking of an old song: 'I Will Serve No Foreign God'. The Dutch version goes somewhat like this: I praise You Lord God of the universe; the Prince of Peace, who is to come. I bring glory to You, for You reign in me. And I serve no other lord; no idol and no king. I long for You only; my heart is your home. And with my heart, I raise my hands.

5 comments:

  1. I love that old hymn you shared with us here, Marja! Yes, we cannot serve two masters; may we all choose to serve God alone.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit and comments Martha. Sometimes I think it gets harder, but in reality it gets easier... we must follow God alone.

      Delete
  2. Hi Marja. Praise the Lord. A good reminder that we look forward to when King Yeshua will return as King of Israel and King of kings and He will judge the nations and the kings of the world. Meanwhile may we stay on track and walk in His ways and obey His statutes and walk in love. Always He gives us the chance to repent and return, HalleluYah!!. His love endures forever!!! Blessings and Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His love endures forever, amen! This is our hope and foundation. May we stay on track and run the race to the end. I noticed you made a blog entry again (after a long silence), I will add the blog to my reel. Blessings.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your reply Tracy, I surely believe as well that people are more likely to come to Jesus now that evil is played out so openly, so obviously... that even the fools (who said there is no God) can see it! Amen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.