Saturday, February 12, 2022

Teach me (1)

I don’t know about you, but as I grow older I have come to realize that I am in constant need of wisdom in order to deal with life as it is right now.
We live in a crazy world that seems to have lost all sense of awe and respect for God and His teachings.

How do we respond to crisis, to government decisions that go against God’s Word, to people who are filled with fear, hatred, or doubt? How do we continue to live lives of compassion and love towards the people around us?

Browsing through my Bible I came to Psalm 90:12 where it says:

Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom.

What a great scripture! Teach us to realize that life is short… not so, that we can go around preaching death, the dangers of hell, or that the end of times is near, but in order that we may grow in wisdom. I want that, I need that!

Lately, the cry of my heart has been ‘teach me Lord’. Teach me Your will and Your ways. Teach me Your decrees and Your heart… so that I may grow in wisdom. I decided to do a blog series on this topic. Throughout the Bible we can read about people of God and the cry of their hearts: teach me!

I hope you will join me on this journey and that my musings will encourage and inspire you, especially in the time we are living in right now.

6 comments:

  1. I am so looking forward to taking this journey with you, Marja! We can all use more of God's wisdom in our lives.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marja: I look forward to reading what you discover on this topic. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you will join me in this discovery Cecelia! Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Dat is een wijze gedachte Marja, ja, het leven is kort en we kunnen nog steeds groeien in wijsheid. De psalmen zijn nog steeds actueel. Ik ben zo blij dat we weer mogen zingen in de kerk. En in tijden van oorlog en oorlogsdreiging vind je zoveel troost in de psalmen en is het juist zo goed om te vragen leer mij Heer...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darianne Echeverri10:32 AM

    It's funny how your blog ends up in my email once and a while, I admit, it's my spam folder (sorry for that) and I'm not as much a follower of the Bible as you are. I do remember how my father had a similar conversation - we lived in the Netherlands at the time and my father was born in a Catholic family but he had lost interest in the church over time, probably because we, his children, grew up with quite different beliefs (and subsequent emotions).
    My father always taught us: ask not what you can learn yourself, and he indicated the Psalm you referred to. Rather than asking for advice, he said, you should open yourself to your own feelings and form an answer that way yourself. He justified this interpretation by adding that it's not so much asking for advice but coming back to this 'asking', so you can modify your experience and with that, your answer or conclusion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.