Tuesday, August 03, 2021

Managing our thoughts

My thoughts are not always nice and kind. Yeah, I'll admit it. Sometimes I notice that there is annoyance or mistrust or a bit of negativity. You can probably relate...

Human thoughts, I know. However, the Bible tells us not to worry about anything and to direct our thoughts in a different direction. Read along in Philippians 4:6-8,

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Okay, that's not exactly a list we can find in today's media. We better not look to the mainstream media if we want to receive the peace that transcends our understanding. That peace is Jesus. He is the Prince of Peace.

'Think about such things...' Fix your minds on these things... In other words: fill your thoughts with anything that is noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and/or praiseworthy.

I am sure there are plenty of things we can come up with. If nasty and negative thoughts keep going through your head 👉maybe it would be a good idea to make a list, or a set of cards, of everything that you consider pure and lovely and use that to send your thoughts in a different direction!

8 comments:

  1. Great advice, Marja! When our thoughts seem to run in the negative, we need to remember Paul's advice in Philippians.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Martha, it is so easy for our thoughts to go around in circles, we need Biblical guidance!

      Delete
  2. Good advice I have been struggling in this allot lately with a houseful of of family and babies.It hard work and I'm tired and that make me vulnerable to thought that aren't so good. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being tired or overwhelmed or busy... yes, all these situations can make us even more vulnerable for the enemy to put negative thoughts in our mind. I pray you will find the courage to think different thoughts, you might simply have some pictures to look at to steer your thoughts into another direction. Blessings!

      Delete
  3. OH, thank you for posting exactly what I needed to read today, Marja! Exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the honesty. I think Christians want to short change the on-going need to take stock of ourselves and what we're really about, under that old human nature that clings to us. I like to go back to ponder Martin Luther's 1st of the 95 Theses: "When our Lord and Master Jesus Christ said, 'Repent,' he willed the entire life of believers to be one of repentance." So tempting to short-change that, but it could be so freeing if we could live lives as repentant sinners instead of so often wanting to hid behind a mask of how "good" we'd like to think we are. I find coming to terms with the reality of who we are to actually be kind of peaceful, not something that raises cynicism.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marja: I recently wrote in my journal on filling our minds on those words in that passage. It helps me to write about the verses that speak to me. We truly do need to fill our minds with those godly things.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.