Monday, February 24, 2020

More precious than rubies

"Go, and find out what healthy desires are," I wrote in my previous blog, quoting Mark 11:24 where it says, Therefore I say unto you, What things soever you desire, when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you shall have them.

If we are allowed to pray for things we desire, 'desiring' in itself can not be wrong; although most of us have been taught it is. I think that is precisely why the tenth commandment is not a restriction, but a challenge to find out what we may and should desire. That has also been the point of view in my book My Neighbor's House.

Paul writes about the tenth commandment: I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.” It is that simple, really. 😁

Do not desire covet) the things of someone else, but go after what God has reserved for you. I consulted the Bible and came to Proverbs, chapter 8, the chapter about wisdom. In verse 11 it says ...

For wisdom is far more valuable than rubies. Nothing you desire can compare with it.

Nothing, absolutely nothing we can ever desire can be compared with wisdom. Doesn't it make sense then, that that is the very thing we should go after?

4 comments:

  1. Wisdom is, indeed, what we should desire from God. Great reflection, Marja!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will write another blog about this topic, i am reminded of Ephesians 1:17. Thanks Martha!

      Delete
  2. Marja: God gives us these commandments to help us learn how to live. Each of them touches on a different area of our lives. I agree with Martha Jane, we should desire wisdom from God. Peace and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each of them touches on a different area of our lives. very well said Cecelia, thank you for your comment.

      Delete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.