Friday, February 07, 2020

Downsizing: how decluttering graces your heart and home

We live in a very (and I mean: very) small house in The Netherlands. Everything is tiny: the living room, the kitchen and the bedroom. Because we have such limited space, we do not have a lot of stuff. I do not collect anything (well, books maybe) and we do not keep things we do not need.

When we resided in Southern California, we were living in a huge farmhouse. The many rooms were filled with furniture, collectibles, and other stuff. The total opposite of our little home in Holland. And you know what? We have learned to be happy in the big as well as in the small house. Why am I sharing this with you? Because downsizing does not have to be horrible. Getting rid of clutter can be fun and bring incredible relief.

fellow author Susan Rohrer
In our 👉 Christian nonfiction lovers book club on Goodreads, our book of the month February is Susan Rohrer's book: Downsizing: how decluttering graces your heart and home. I read it last year and it is more than an inspiring read, it is very helpful. Rohrer proves that the practical and spiritual work together quite well and effectively. It is truly a joy to read how the author uses Biblical principles to help us clean up stuff and organize our closet space.

I like her practical approach, and especially the chapter about having to move a parent to an, often much smaller, elderly home and how to prepare everyone in the family for the challenges such a move will bring. I highly recommend this book if you seriously want to learn how to live with less!

We have added a #giveaway in our Goodreads club as well. We have asked members to enter the giveaway by simply sharing their personal thoughts on downsizing. Do you need help decluttering your own home? Are you daunted by the idea of downsizing your elders' belongings? Do you have a downsizing tip to share?

Just post a few lines in the Goodreads thread and you'll be entered to win a Kindle edition of Susan's book.

6 comments:

  1. I am not a "collector" type of person, Marja, so our house, except for books, is pretty much clutter free. Sounds like a great read, though.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither Martha, thank God :) I still found it a great read, because she gives plenty of tips for people who are helping their parents to move to a smaller place.

      Delete
  2. My best friend often says, "I have too much stuff!" I sliently agree with her. I am one that likes to have mementos from our travels to remind me of the various trips. Yes, I have some collections that seem to overrun our home. When we had our living room repainted a few years ago, Hubby said I needed to dispense with one of the expandable cup racks on one wall. We stored them in our yardbarn until our church had a rummage sale. I know I need to downsize our stuff but I don't know where to begin and I really don't have the energy to tackle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cecelia, thanks for your honest comment. I used to bring all kinds of mementos from our trips, but I don't do it anymore (just pictures) because they take up too much room. And like you said, putting things in storage mostly results in giving them away later on. If you feel like it, join our #giveaway on Goodreads, maybe you can win a free copy of Susan's book. She is a delightful writer, and her book is a joy to read, especially when you dread downsizing :)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10:49 PM

    Hi Marja, I'm a practical person so I can declutter with ease :) but I think the clutter in my head could use some work. It is true that as one declutters, one becomes more free, more relaxed and less anxious. Great reminder to physically and mentally declutter!!!
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy, for your input. Mental decluttering is as much important as physical decluttering indeed!

      Delete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.