Thursday, May 29, 2014

Writer's muse

Due to lack of inspiration for a quick blog post (which none of you suffer from, I suppose), I rummaged through the bins of the past and came upon something I wrote many years ago, just after finishing my first book (how interesting)...

When He spoke, the world was created. You can find those words in Psalm 33:9. Besides the world, He created you and me and He embedded His creating power in us (by giving us His Holy Spirit). That is why we love to build, design, fabricate and invent. That is why we love to write!

Never before would I have thought it possible to write so much about just two verses in the Bible, like I did in Sacred Sabbath. It tells me something about the enormous impact of God's words. If just two verses give enough inspiration for a book, just imagine how many books are hidden in the Bible! People get inspired every day, all over the world, when reading God's word.

Think again about that word 'inspired', it means in-spirit. I don't get inspired because I am so good and wonderful, it is because the Spirit is alive in me. He shows me things I simply could not see before. Reading God's word must be like being with Jesus. The gospel of John ends with these words: Now, there are many other things that Jesus did. If they were all written down one by one, I suppose that the whole world could not hold the books that would be written!

Wow, I am looking forward to endless inspiration! Isn't that every author's dream?

PS: Are you sometimes looking for inspiration in the weirdest places?

8 comments:

  1. Marja: Inspiration can be hard to come by. But it can also hit us when we least expect it. We all have different things that trigger our brains to write. Last night at church, we saw a video, entitled, "God of Wonder." It showed God's had in nature and in the heavenly bodies. It was marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I enjoyed that video so much! A marvelous production indeed and... very inspiring!

      Delete
  2. I think we work too hard at trying to be inspired. If we simply ask God to give us what we need and then go about our business, it will be there when we need it. Staying in the Word, in prayer, and fellowshipping with Him keeps us attuned to His still, small voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Susan, we should not force it, but simply receive it... for which it is best to be quiet :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with Susan, sometimes we do work too hard to find inspiration. Resting and trusting in Him is crucial, as you said. I often have ideas, but lack the motivation and inspiration to see them come to fruition. This is especially when I appreciate the Holy Spirit's inspiration and guidance. Cannot imagine writing without it.

    If it makes you feel any better, I sometimes struggle with getting a blog post together. It's either the time, or the inspiration and ideas, or just feeling overwhelmed with other tasks. I usually get a spark of an idea (if I don't pull something out of the archives) and go with it, trusting God to work it out. It's funny, often the posts I think are most lacking are the most popular. Go figure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that shows that the Holy Spirits is in control and knows what readers need most! Thanks Karen.

      Delete
  4. There are times when I am totally inspired and have a wealth of thoughts and words of wisdom- when TIME eludes me! The TIME to sit and reflect, to write, to let my fingers do the talking. I 'allow' other tasks to become more demanding, deserving or all consuming. Something I need to work on......!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mind is always racing, full of ideas... but it is the art of picking the right one and contemplating on it... and sharing with others :)

      Delete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.