Monday, November 21, 2011

Surely, you will read this!

In an ever changing world full of uncertainties I would like to share some certainties from God's Word. I call 'm the surely's of the Bible and I absolutely LOVE to read and proclaim them.

The word surely can be found many times throughout the Bible. In the book of Psalms alone it is used at least 28 times. I checked the dictionary, it explains: Surely: used to emphasize the speaker's firm belief that what they are saying is true and often their surprise that there is any doubt of this. Surely is a word that expresses and underlines our faith in God's promises. The psalmists used it all the time. Let me share some of my favorites to encourage you in this coming week:
  • Surely, O Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield (Psalm 5:12). I love this one, the writer proclaims and acknowledges God's favor in his life. What are we waiting for, let's do the same!
  • Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever (Psalm 23:6). Despite circumstances, despite doubt and hurt, the writer proclaims God's goodness and love over his life. Whether we feel it or not, let's say these words in trust, thankfulness and expectation.
  • Surely God is my help, the Lord is the one who sustains me (Psalm 54:4). Don't forget to read the verses preceding David's statement here, he is in serious trouble. And yet, he is not afraid to proclaim God as the One who will come to his rescue. I am longing for that boldness, for that confidence, and I know it will grow in me as I proclaim these precious words.
  • Surely He will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence (Psalm 91:3). Whenever we need healing in our body or deliverance from the enemy, we can be assured that God is willing to come to our aid. Say it, read it, pray it!
The writers used the word surely to overcome their doubts and fears, an antidote against unbelief. I think we can learn from their proclamations. Please, if there is any reason to use one of God's surely's this week, don't hesitate to do so. It will make your faith grow!

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:34 PM

    Hi Marja - I love this. Great scripture to claim over ourselves re God's blessing in our lives
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great content blog! I had never researched that word. There are some areas in my life now that I need faith and endurance and I am going to pray that word in my prayers. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is surely a wonderful reminder of God's provision and goodness. Thanks and blessings to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tracy, great to see you back this Monday! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shanda, yes! Please pray those scriptures and that word, it is such an encouragement!

    Karen, surely good to see you here, than ks for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that post Marja!
    I have enlarged it and printed it to hang over my computer.
    Incidentally I am fascinated by the repeated phrase in the Bible, 'and not only this', so I am collecting those passages too. What a mine of treasures God's word is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wyn, That is exactly what I enjoy too, studying those repeated words or passages, I want to get them in my mind, in my heart and spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:23 PM

    Oh how I love that word, and how much I need it. Thank you, Marja. I think you don't live in the US now but I'm still sending you Thanksgiving blessings because I am thankful for you.
    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Marcia for your kind words, happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.