Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Challenging question

"Who is wise and understanding among you?"
Just imagine that someone at work, or in church, or in your family would suddenly ask that question. Would you dare to stand up and raise your hand? Would anyone stand up at all? I admit that I would keep things on the safe side and remain silent. Sure, I am not dumb and I sincerely believe that I do have a certain measure of understanding, but who is going to proclaim wisdom about himself? Surely, we want to stay humble here, right?!

All these thoughts were going through my mind while reading James 3:13-18. He is not afraid to ask a challenging question, Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. In order words, think before you answer in words, I need to see your deeds. He then shows that sometimes we think we are wise, but deep down we harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition. Anything that comes forth from bitter envy or selfish ambition he calls earthly and unspiritual 'wisdom'.

If we have any wisdom at all, it should come from heaven. The Bible teaches that Jesus Christ has become for us the wisdom from God (1 Corinthians 1:30). James clearly defines such wisdom (and basically describes Jesus' character, which should be evident in the life of His followers). Wisdom is first of all

  • pure, then
  • peace-loving,
  • considerate,
  • submissive,
  • full of mercy and good fruit,
  • impartial, and
  • sincere
I like his list. Whenever I have a choice to act in wisdom and understanding I can check to see if my choices are Christ-like. Whenever the things I say and do, mirror the characteristics James mentioned, I know it was given to me from above. We might hesitate to call ourselves wise, but we can ask ourselves: Am I growing in wisdom?

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:27 AM

    Hi Marja - at the bottom of the post where it says you're next, you click 'click here to enter' then it takes you to a page where you fill in your website name and email (I'm not sure if mine asks for email or not), then it sends you to a page where you select a picture from your blog or computer and hit enter and you've joined the bloghop. Your pic appears and its a link there for anyone to go to your page. Give it a try. Its fun and gives you more exposure.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:30 AM

    Hi Marja - great post and on top of all that, if the wisdom you have comes from God you will not brag or boast about it and remain humble.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Traci, I entered. Great idea! Blessings, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a hard list to live up to. Thankfully, his grace is covering. I pray for wisdom and that I will use it according to His plans and ways. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't see it as a list to live up to Diane, I would always feel like a failure :) But it helps to stay focused and of course, that's where grace comes in indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Marja! It definitely gives me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great check list! When we look to Him for wisdom...for HIS wisdom, it always has those characteristics. My prayer is for spiritual wisdom, not that of the world. Thanks Marja! A very helpful post!

    Blessings, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dana, it is indeed something to think about. The bible clearly defines love, wisdom, freedom etc. Very practical!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Joan for visiting and leaving your thoughts. I placed your blog on my blog roll, a welcome addition since I didn't have any blogs on prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:13 AM

    Hi Marja - thanks for joining the bloghop and look forward to seeing you there next week. You are a blessing to me
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this list too. Growing in wisdom is a good goal no matter what age we are.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! Karen, no matter what age we are, I want to maintain a teachable spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.