Monday, January 17, 2011

Armchair Christianity

Light and momentary troubles...
We don't watch much tv in our house, but a movie on the laptop is a real treat! The other night we watched A Cry From Iran, a ten times award-winning documentary on the life and secret death of a prominent evangelical pastor in Iran, Haik Hovsepian. A powerful, powerful documentary about life of modern day Christians in Iran, presented by Open Doors. The film reveals the harrowing saga of Iranian martyrs and Christian converts who became victims of their beliefs and paid the ultimate price...

Watching this film as a Christian in America I couldn't stop thinking about how easy our Christianity is in the Western world. How is it possible we sometimes struggle with our faith, we fight over theological differences and we are often ashamed to testify about the power of the Gospel in public? We live in a country where it is possible to buy Bibles, books, cd's, dvd's, jewelery, and all kinds of other gadgets. We can visit concerts, go to church, follow Bible studies, sign up for conferences and put a bumper sticker on our car! Oh yes, people might make fun of us or oppose our worldview, but is that really the hardest thing that can happen to us?

I am currently reading through the book of Jeremiah and right after watching this documentary my attention was caught by a particular scripture in the 12th chapter, verse 5:

If you have raced with men on foot and they have worn you out, how can you compete with horses? If you stumble in safe country, how will you manage in the thickets by the Jordan?

It is God's answer to one of Jeremiah's complaints. Yes, the prophet was having a hard time, but God placed his experiences in the proper perspective. He showed Jeremiah that his present troubles were only a test for the real work! These words really intrigued me and I had to ask myself the same question God asked Jeremiah. If I am complaining about present (minor) circumstances, how can I ever truly win a battle? If I do not stand up in a free country, will I stand under trial? The apostle Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 4:17, For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.
I would like to ask you to look at your momentary troubles as a test that will reveal your true character and measure of faith. Try to see them in proper perspective and in light of what our brothers and sisters around the world are going through, the ones who really suffer for the faith!

11 comments:

  1. Great post Marja!! I have always had a heart for my persecuted brothers and sisters and often ask myself the questions you raise.
    The answers I get really bother me too :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean Lorrie, then answers are a wake up call! Someone has said that there are more than 1,000 commentaries on the book of Acts in the English language-but not 100 Christians living with the power of the New Testament Christianity.
    That makes me think, again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This documentary sounds powerful! I'm with you, Marja, so often we complain about the smallest things, giving me cause to wonder if I'd stand during real persecution. Thanks for helping me put my trials in proper perspective and refocusing my attention on the Author and Finisher of my faith. Hugs & God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proper perspective... that is probably the key word Maria! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:02 PM

    Its hard to get some people to go to church. I can just imagine how many churches in the USA would shut down if they made it hard to attend. Or would we want to go even more if they told us we couldn't? Great food for thought Marja. God bless. Feliciano

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure we would want to go more if they told us we couldn't, Feliciano. Christianity grows under pressure! I have read somewhere that it is almost impossible for our spiritual faith to grow in a country of material prosperity... food for thought indeed!
    Thanks for visiting, I appreciate your input!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marja -

    Isn't it a tragedy that we don't appreciate the freedoms we have until they are taken away? Every generation must come to a place of commitment and surrender to the Lord.

    God has blessed us. We need to be good stewards of this precious gift.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Susan, that is so true! We often don't appreciate freedom, health, well being, family etc. until they are taken away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good post. I agree; we have it easy here. Our pastor recently used that scripture in Jeremiah in a sermon. Really gives you some food for thought.
    Have a good weekend,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great post Marja. I am being convicted lately about my lack of passion for the lost abused and persecuted yet I blow my top if any religious freedoms are whittled down here. The Scripture I keep getting is 'As much as you do it to the least of these my brethren/children, you do it to ME.
    I pray that I will be completely committed to God's causes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen and Wyn, thanks for your valuable input, appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.