Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Strength according to biblical standards

Quietness, trust & joy
As I spend many hours working behind a desk, I enjoy a good work out. It takes me half an hour on my bicycle to get to work and when the weather permits it, I go for a power walk during lunch time. But nothing beats a spinning lesson at my local gym! The exercise strengthens and excites me and quite often I feel much better afterwards.

Still reading through Isaiah I came upon a verse that talks about biblical strength, In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength (Isaiah 30:15). Now, that's a total different story. Although I am all for physical exercise and building up some muscles, I also realize that our real strength is not physical. It is not intellectual or mental either. The Bible teaches that our strength  is in quietness and trust. I really had to think that over because it goes so much against the standard the world has set. Real strength cannot be measured according to the worldly standards. It cannot be found in exercise, education, status or importance. Real strength is in God and in godly attributes like quietness, trust and joy (Nehemiah 8:10). It is with the psalmist that we can cry out to God: Strengthen me according to your word (Psalm 119:28)

When I can stay quiet during arguments or difficult times, when I can trust God when all goes wrong... then I am showing strength. Again, this is where the help and guidance of the Holy Spirit will come in. Without His help we will fail, all the time. The apostle Paul's prayer for the believers is this: I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being (Ephesians 3:16). What a great prayer! The Holy Spirit will strengthen us with power in our inner being.

That brings me to the subject of one of our workshops: the power of God. I will post a short version about the power of God in my next post! Until then: may you be be strengthened in your daily walk!

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:48 AM

    Hi Marja - This is an excellent post. This weekend, I was anything but strong. I need to show my strength, as I have received it from Christ, by being quiet and knowing He is in control. When I am out of control, He is quiet!
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input Tracy, I will certainly need to apply quietness as a strength more often too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post! I like that prayer of Paul's too. It's wonderful to have self control in tough situations but to have that strength in our inner being is key - that's where it's at. If I keep silent on the outside but on the inside I am roaring then... ulcer city!

    Thanks Marja ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Lorrie, strength in our inner being... that is something only the Holy Spirit can accomplish!
    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post for me too!
    I was feeling rather fragile yesterday and asked God to send me a blessing to cheer me up. He sent me a bagful of trials and oppositions. That strengthened me... I had to hang on tight to Him too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post, Marja! I've been reminded of this godly strength in quietness and trust this summer. Unfortunately, I've had to learn the hard way - by failing to be quiet and by doubting. The Lord is teaching me to let Him be in control. When I submit to the Holy Spirit, trusting that God will work everything out according to His purposes, I can truly be strong!

    *Sounds like you've got an excellent exercise program going on there! I love to exercise as well!

    Hugs and Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wyn, everything He sends is there to help us grow, but we don't always recognize it as such :)

    Thanks for your comment Maria. I think I go through this exercise again and again :) Such scriptures are great reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never thought of this verse before. New revelation! In Quietness and Trust in your strength. Powerful thoughts. You're right, this is the opposite of what the word teaches. God's word is amazing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "new revelation"... I like it when that happens Sonya :)
    Thanks so much for your visit and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isaiah keeps popping up in things I'm reading lately. I think God is trying to tell me something. I love that verse and this post, Marja. I have such trouble resting and trusting deep within the quiet, but that is exactly where we should spend some time each day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trusting for strength ... that is hard to do, but it really is the key ingredient for the strength we need to have for life. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for comments Heather and Warren, this post should have a part 2, don't you think...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.