Sunday, July 10, 2011

Interview with Susan Reinhardt

This week I am honored to present to you an interview with fellow blogger Susan Reinhardt, owner and author of the Christian Writer/Reader Connection. Faithfully she posts on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Personally I love her Friday Round-up posts, always something interesting, funny or helpful. I have been following Susan's blog for quite some time and I think she really deserves an honorable place in the Christian blogging world. Here we go, enjoy!
Please, introduce yourself…anything special we need to know about Susan J. Reinhardt? 
Thanks for having me on your blog, Marja. I’ve been writing for publication about 10 years. My late husband encouraged me to go to a writers’ conference in 2004. In August 2005, I wrote the first draft of my manuscript The Moses Conspiracy. While non-fiction is my first love, fiction has exercised writing muscles I never knew I had. Like natural muscles, they’re often sore from the workout. Now, I appreciate both writing avenues and understand how they complement each other. 

How and when did you start your blog?  Around the time I started attending writers’ conferences, I searched for Christian bloggers. Once I found a couple of them, I visited everyone on their blogrolls. Talk about being hooked! They educated me on many facets of writing and publishing. In late May 2008, I started Christian Writer/Reader Connection. In addition to building a platform for my writing, I wanted to meet and encourage other writers and readers.

What is your drive behind blogging? What do you hope to accomplish? 
The whole idea behind this blog is connecting and supporting Christian writers and readers. I wanted a place where both could relax and enjoy each other’s company. On Mondays, I post a short devotional/writing journey/life experience article, while Wednesdays are devoted to book reviews and author interviews. The Friday Round-Up offers a link I’ve discovered in my blog travels, which I think my friends will enjoy.

Your writings have appeared in several devotionals. Any work in progress in that field?
I’ve been blessed to be in two Cup of Comfort anthologies. My latest devotional will be in the Love Is A Verb Devotional book, which is a companion book to Gary Chapman’s Love Is A Verb. I also have a short article scheduled for Vista in the fall of 2011. At the moment, I’m preparing for a writers’ conference. Several devotional editors are on my list of possible appointments. Most of the assignments I’ve received have come as a result of attending these events. I highly recommend them.

Earlier this month you broke the news that you are working on a novel together with blogger Karen Lange. What have you learned from this project so far? 
Sharing the research/writing duties with another writer is both delightful and daunting. We’ve learned much about communication, expectations, and writing styles. Like a good marriage, we’ve turned our different approaches into something that adds unexpected spice to the writing stew. Both of us have the freedom to do our own thing within certain story parameters that we’ve discussed. Karen’s addition of an antagonistic character was a stroke of genius. We’ve had a lot of fun using her to create tension and emotional reactions. The other day, I mentioned the need to give this person some redeeming characteristics because I wanted to smack her! (As an effective villain, she makes the grade, but brings out some not-so-nice responses in me. It’s an area I have to work on.)

What role does your faith in God play in your daily life? 
I really can’t say my faith in God plays a role in my life. He IS my life. Beyond my morning devotions, we talk all day long. For every area, not just writing, I go to Him for wisdom, strength, and grace. Without His input, writing is a dead letter. Only He can breathe life into our words, so they minister to hurting hearts.

Top three on your “things-to-do list…  Oh, wow, only three? Since we’re talking about writing, I’ll say: 
  1. To write books that dispel confusion, foster a deeper relationship with the Lord, and go beyond entertainment value. 
  2. To encourage greater connection in the Body of Christ. 
  3. To also write non-fiction books and develop a corresponding speaking platform. 
If the whole world could see your bumper sticker, what would it say?
I have a modest collection of Noah’s Ark paraphernalia. One item I saw by an anonymous writer showed the ark with this caption, “God Keeps His Promises.” Instead of a bumper sticker, I’d like that as a sign I could hang up in my home. I hope that sentiment is apparent as I live my life.

Do you have any authors or specific books that have been an inspiration to you?
Many authors impacted my life and writing over the years. Francine Rivers and James L. Rubart are two that come to mind. If you want examples of deep point of view, their books are a great place to experience it firsthand.

Any words of encouragement to us bloggers?
Keeping our audience in mind is of paramount importance. As a devotional writer, I learned one of the major elements is the take-away. I share my stories, but always include something the reader can apply to their lives or writing. Another way to foster discussion is asking a question at the end of each post. It gives readers something to think about and comment on.
Thanks again, Marja. I enjoy your blog, and I appreciate the opportunity to share with your readers.

*********
Thanks Susan, for sharing part of your writing journey with us.
Feel free to visit Susan's blog Christian Writer/Reader Connection and enjoy her writing!

30 comments:

  1. Good Morning, Marja -

    Thank you for being so gracious. Your blog is a regular stop on my reading circuit. :)

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan, good morning and thank you for your participation. Your sweet smile and encouraging words are a great beginning of this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, ladies! I know Susan already and learned something new. :) Thanks, Marja, for sharing the link to my blog too. Have a wonderful week!
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Karen. When I read about the two of you working together... I knew I wanted to know more :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Marja,
    Thanks so much for highlighting Susan. Always great to know her a little better. She and I met at a writers conference, and I have Susan to thank for helping me connect with other bloggers (as you will see when I highlight her on my blog in the near future!)
    And I just love your "fresh insights" and your compassionate heart.

    Dear Susan,
    I thank you for being such a inspiration to me. You always share such valuable truths that become part of my writer DNA. Today's gem:
    "Without His input, writing is a dead letter. Only He can breathe life into our words, so they minister to hurting hearts." I don't want to write dead letters!

    Love you both lots!!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. The two Susans, how awesome is that! And yes, thanks for highlighting today's gem...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen -

    So, you learned something new about me today? I'll have to call you and find out the details. :)

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan -

    So many good things come out of writers' conferences, including wonderful friends. :)

    Thanks for your encouraging words.
    See you in a few weeks.

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great interview! Susan, you are unfailingly upbeat, positive, and just all-around encouraging. Someday I hope to take you up on your advice re: conferences. Interesting, how big a part they've played for you.

    Of course, you know I'm very interested in what you and the lovely Mizz Lange are up to! :) Such good friends you all are.

    Marja, it was very kind of you to host Susan. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Rhonda, I love how you 'say' mizz Lange, haha. They are up to something for sure :)
    I have followed Susan for quite some time and it is so much fun to put her in the spotlight this week! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been friends with Susan for a while now and even got to meet her! She has a wonderful way of encouraging others and connecting them. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mizz Rhonda!

    Your comments are as fun and refreshing as your blog posts. :)

    Seriously, I'm grateful I have a premier Christian writers conference close to home (The Greater Philadelphia Christian Writers Conference). Marlene brings in the best of the best.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Diane -

    Wow! The conference is going to be like a homecoming with you, Jeanette, Susan Panzica, and others there. What fun we're going to have!

    We should compare notes and see if we're in some of the same workshops. :)

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great interview! Susan, I enjoyed getting to know more about you. Your faith is an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Diane, I didn't realize you knew Susan, I am getting very curious about this writing conference now... I don't think we have such conferences in Holland.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sarah -

    Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed the interview. Marja asked some great questions, didn't she?

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Marja -

    There are some excellent Christian writers conferences on the West Coast. You might want to look into the Mt. Hermon one.

    Marlene Bagnull, who does the Philadelphia conference, also does one in Colorado every year. Her web address is http://www.writehisanswer.com.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Susan, for the links!

    Sarah, thanks for stopping by. I checked your website, you're funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful interview, Marja! Susan, you're such an inspiration! I love your answer to the question: What role does your faith in God play in your daily life? "He IS my life!" I can honestly say, that this is evident in your life,Susan! Looking forward to reading the book that you're co-authoring with Karen. Have a blessed week, Susan and Marja!:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for stopping by Maria, always thankful for your input and comments!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Maria -

    All I can say is, "to God be the glory."

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great questions, Marja. Very fun interview.
    Hi Susan! It was great to learn some of the behind the scenes work for your blog and life. Congrats on your upcoming articles too. That's always exciting:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Kristen, thanks for reading the interview and leaving your comment. I checked out your blog too, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Kristen -

    Marja made this interview easy with her excellent questions. :)

    Thank you for your encouragement and friendship.

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love Susan's comment, "God IS my life." Wow.

    Blogging brought Susie and I together as friends, and I treasure her wisdom and encouragement. I'm so excited that we'll finally meet next month at the Philly Writers Conference!

    Great interview, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Jen -

    Isn't it awesome the way God brings people together? In the ordinary scheme of things, we would never have met. Now, we're close friends. :)

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, thank you everyone for your visit and response, it was a joy to have Susan as the highlight of the week. Make sure you put her blog on your blog roll!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Marja:
    Don't know how I missed this interview. Susan is one of my dearest blogger friends. I have learned so much by reading her entries. I, too, enjoy her Friday Round Ups.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am glad you found the interview after all Cecelia!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good interview, Marja and Susan. I hadn't heard of "The Moses Conspiracy" but would like to read it.

    I like your purposes for writing, Susan, and appreciate your commitment to being a Christian voice in the writing/publishing world.

    wb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.