Sunday, April 25, 2021

The fear of the Lord (1)

I think many people will agree with me as I say that there is a huge lack of wisdom nowadays. Oh my goodness, the plans and decisions governments, political leaders, organizations, and corporations are making... some are so far out, that they would be funny if they weren't so sad.

'Where is wisdom in all of this?' I quite often hear people say this and it made me think of something the Bible teaches in Proverbs 9:10: 

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

Hm, let's turn that around for once. 👉Where there is no wisdom, there is no fear of the Lord. That makes sense, doesn't it? It would be unbiblical to expect great wisdom from people who do not fear God.

So, let's stop blaming people for making unwise decisions if they have no fear of the Lord. According to the Word of God wise and unwise decisions are connected to the spiritual state people are in.

Now, the fear of the Lord, what exactly does that mean? How do we know whether we fear the Lord or not? What does the Bible teach us about the fear of the Lord? I decided to write a series of short blogs about this topic. God alone knows how much we need this. May wisdom increase as we learn to fear God!

I hope you want to join me in reading and sharing these blog posts.


6 comments:

  1. Marja: This is a timely topic. We fear the things going on around us. We sometimes we believe we can take care of that circumstance. We get into trouble because we have not taken the time to pray or read His Word. We should have a reverential respect for God. However, we can only have that respect for Him if we spend time with Him. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cecelia, for your comments. So true... spending time with Him, praying, listening, putting the highest value on Him! I am looking forward to the series myself :) Believe it or not, I never know what I am going to write, but I believe the Holy Spirit prompted me to do this topic.

      Delete
  2. I'm all in with you in the study of what it means to fear the Lord, Marja. Our wisdom will only increase when we know His will for us and submit to Him.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, for a while it was on my heart to write about this topic. The posts will be short and to the point. We need it today! Thanks Martha.

      Delete
  3. Sounds great! Look forward to the study!
    Imagine if world leaders would truly desire to want to acquire wisdom.
    So true that it starts with `the Fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom.`

    This is another verse from the Proverbs ! Blessings!
    16 How much better to get wisdom than gold, to get insight rather than silver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, Oh yes, I love that verse too! I'll probably use it in this series. Or well, maybe I should follow up with a series about wisdom :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.