Tuesday, May 29, 2018

That name in prayer

Have you ever been in a prayer meeting where someone used the name 'Lord' as a filler? Annoying for sure, but it always makes me alert... how do I use God's name?

My new book In My Name offers a New Testament perspective on the 3rd commandment... Do not use the name of the Lord in vain. In Old Testament times people were stoned to death for misusing the name of the Lord. Thank God we live in a different time, because I believe we all use His name in vain from time to time. I quote from page 27:

"I remember a prayer meeting we attended, many years ago. We had joined together with a group of believers to intercede for a brother in our church who was very sick and much too young to die (so we thought). We took turns praying and pleading with the Lord to add some extra years to this person’s life. I remember that a certain man in this group used the name ‘Lord’ in his prayer about every four words.

At first I ignored it, but as he went on and on it began to irritate me. His prayer was sincere and passionate, don’t get me wrong. However; I suddenly had this thought: he is using the name of the Lord in vain. No, he was not swearing, but he used the name of God ineffectively. He used God’s holy name as just another word to make up his sentences.

Never before did it occur to me that even believers can misuse the name of God when talking or praying. How often have you been present in prayer meetings where His name was used as a common word? I think we can all relate to this."

Can you relate or not? Or maybe I should ask: are you using His name without thinking?

👉In My Name is available in Kindle format on Amazon for $2.99.

6 comments:

  1. Marja: I believe those new to Christ and those who are in their younger (chronological) years do use the LORD's name without thinking. I try to watch my language but if I happen to have something fall from my hands, I have found that I utter His name. Please pray for me, as I want to break that habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have noticed that I do this sometimes as well Cecelia, uttering His name under my breath... not to worship Him, but to express my frustration or fear. While writing this book I really thought about the way we Christians use the name... quite interesting really.
      I think your honesty has already broken that habit :) When we acknowledge our faults, He is just and faithful to forgive and help us to change.
      Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3:23 AM

    Hi Marja, I would love to get my hands on your book. A paper copy lol. I will see if i can source it here. This is certainly a topic we as Christians should take very seriously.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tracy, the paperback edition can only be ordered through my webshop: https://www.marjameijers.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html
    It is so expensive to send books by mail, but hey... I'll send you a free copy in exchange for a review on your blog or amazon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:19 AM

      Ahh, Marja I am so excited! I will most certainly read and review! And if it works for my bible study group, I may order and buy a few extra copies!!!!
      God bless

      Delete
    2. That would be great Tracy, it would make for a delightful Bible study! Let me know when the book arrives!

      Delete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.