Friday, March 01, 2013

Measure

The Bible is a fascinating book, I don't have to tell you that :) But what I want to tell you is, that it is important to read a translation that you can understand! As far as I know there are no 'good' or 'bad' translations; just make sure you read one you can relate to.

As I wrote in my previous post, I am reading through the gospel of Luke at the moment and, quite unavoidable, I arrived at chapter six. Now there are two things possible at the beginning of such a chapter: read through it quickly or stop and meditate on the lessons Jesus is teaching here. This is not theology or theory, but practical Christianity for our every day life. I quote verse 37 and 38: Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Ouch, strong words, especially the last sentence.The first question that enters my mind and that I would like to share with you is: which measure do I use? In a negative and a positive sense. Jesus uses examples of both: judging and condemning, but also forgiving and giving. Whatever the case, we set the measure with which we will be measured...
  • Am I critical, judgemental, or unkind towards others? If so, such an attitude towards others will come  back into my own life.
  • Am I forgiving and generous (time, talents, money, love, etc.) towards others? If so, such an attitude towards others will come back into my own life.
What a great responsibility to realize that we are the ones setting the measure that others will use towards us. It would have been much easier if God took care of all that, so we wouldn't have to change our bitterness, stinginess or unforgiveness. The words of Jesus are simple but not easy, they imply responsibility but also a challenge.

I don't know about you, but I don't want people to judge me or criticize me. I want others to forgive me and share their blessings with me. My wish is the measure that I need to use for others.

If we desire a different harvest, we must make a beginning with sowing different seeds.

6 comments:

  1. Marja: "A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap." This sentence makes me think of brown sugar. In order to get the measurement, we have to pack that measuring device chock full.This is the amount of blessings God gives us. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU Cecelia for your comment! You're precious.

      Delete
  2. We are often generous with ourselves but hard on others. This verse and the Golden Rule reflect the true standard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that sums it up in one sentence Susan, generous with ourselves, but not to others.

      Delete
  3. I love that last sentence. I want to be careful what I'm sowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too! Thanks for stopping by Pam.

      Delete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.