Monday, December 03, 2012

Maintaining our freedom (4)

In the previous blogposts we have taken a closer look at biblical freedom. It is God's will that Christians should live in freedom. We are no longer slaves and we should not let ourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery... by nothing and by no one. Freedom does not mean we can say and do whatever we want (that would be anarchy), but biblical freedom means being free from sin, shame and guilt (and many psychological and physical problems that are often the result of this). That kind of freedom is only available through grace and our faith  in Jesus Christ.

Biblical freedom is also the freedom to choose. Galatians 5:1 says It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. It is somehow possible to become enslaved again. 2 Peter 2:19 clearly states that a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Let's ask ourselves what has mastered us: worries, depression, sickness, addiction? We are meant to live in freedom; to not be a slave of anything or anyone. The apostle Paul gives us the key: stand firm then. In other words: protect your freedom, stand in the gap for your freedom, because the thief comes to steal, kill and destroy. Let me put it this way: the freedom Jesus offers us is a gift, maintaining that freedom is our responsibility. For that purpose God has created us with a free will, we must do our best to make choices in order to maintain our freedom.

Making the right choices actually means to live a 'holy life'. When I was younger I thought that people who lived so called holy lives were boring; we used to make fun of them. Thank God I have learned that holy living means I have to make choices: one time for Jesus and after that every day... I must choose to do what my old nature wants (also called 'the flesh') or what the Holy Spirit wants. The Holy Spirit lives in every believer and talks to every believer, but quite often we are not so trained in listening. We need to silence many other voices (radio, television, news paper, thoughts, talking etc.) to hear Him. We must learn to listen in silence.

In order to stand firm we must make the choice to live a holy life, this choice is two-fold:
  • We must purposely separate ourselves from sin, and
  • we must purposely seek fellowship with God
Separation from sin means: not doing what everyone else is doing, saying no when we need to, never acting without thinking, but asking for guidance and listening. Seeking a closer fellowship with God can be trough our heart (prayer), our soul (music, worship), our mind (studying the Word) and our strength (service). In order to stand firm and to keep our freedom, we need to make the right choices, every day!

In the next post we will take a closer look at freedom from guilt and shame.

7 comments:

  1. I agree, there really are many misconceptions concerning the freedom we have in Jesus. He died to set us free, and I desire to walk in the fullness of that. Glad you shared this, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my desire too Karen, I do NOT want to be a slave again, ever!

      Delete
  2. It is for freedom that Christ has set us free ... one of my favorites.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post, Marja!

    I love Deuteronomy 28 where God tells the Israelites the blessings they will receive by following Him and the curses that result from a life apart from Him. He wants us to be blessed, to choose life. As you said, we're free to make that decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we would only realize how important the choices are, that we make each day. Thanks for your comment Susan, blessings.

      Delete
  4. Marja: I decided many years ago that we make choices throughout each day. When my alarm goes off, I can choose to get up, reset it or us the snooze alarm. I can worry about something that I did or didn't do or I can pray about it an follow God's leading.

    I am thankful that I chose to allow Jesus into my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.