Friday, August 19, 2011

The effect of righteousness

Have you ever met people who have a certain effect on you? Being around them for a few minutes encourages and inspire you. You walk away feeling on top of the world. On the other hand, being around certain people can have the opposite effect; you feel negative, afraid or even angry. Now, the post I am about to write is NOT about the effect other people have on us, but about the effect we have on other people!

As I am journeying through the book of Isaiah I stumbled upon this delightful resting place. I lingered there for the longest time :) while eating the words that nourished me. Chapter 32, verse 17 says: The fruit of righteousness will be peace, the effect of righteousness will be quietness and confidence forever. Go ahead, read it again and again. It is such a powerful scripture and it holds wonderful promises for the reader. While reading, I noticed two things that I would like to share:

  • The fruit of righteousness will be peace. It is a fruit, which means it doesn't pop out full grown, it will show itself small and over time grow into maturity. In other words, don't panic if peace is not written all over your forehead with big letters.
  • Eventually the effect of that fruit in my life will be quietness and confidence. The effect is something that will be seen by others, it is what I leave behind as I go about my daily life.
What exactly is righteousness? The Bible explains it clearly: Righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. (Romans 3:22). So, our righteousness bears fruit (peace) and it has an effect (quietness and confidence) throughout the day. My question today is: is that the effect we have on others? Do they see quietness and confidence in us or stress and doubt?

Let me leave you with a few scriptures on the fruit of peace, and the effect of quietness and confidence. Read 'm aloud, meditate on 'm and start living 'm.

PEACE: Great peace have they who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble (Psalm 119:165)
QUIETNESS: In quietness and trust is your strength (Isaiah 30:15)
CONFIDENCE: This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us (1 John 5:14)

Have a great weekend everyone. 

11 comments:

  1. Vivian6:34 AM

    Thanks for "breakfast". God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so welcome Vivian. This will be a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this scripture in Isaiah. It has long been one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, Isaiah holds so many nuggets of wisdom, I love to meditate on them! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I l-o-v-e the book of Isaiah! This is a great post, Marja! In answer to this: "Do they see quietness and confidence in us...?" I surely see them both in you! Blessings to you, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your kind words Lynn, I appreciate you stopping by and encouraging me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for encouragement! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marja -

    Thank you for the refreshing water of the Word. :)

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so welcome Renata!

    And Susan, your comment makes it alwats better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this post Marja.
    I am aware that I often lack peace and now I know confidence is a result of Peace. I cetainly lack both of those things so I will work on it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wyn, make sure you read the next posts, on growing in grace. Often we try in our own effort, we try so hard, but it is God's grace which enables us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.