Monday, May 23, 2011

Interview with Lorrie Ransom

A colorful mixture of words & pictures...
This week it is my pleasure to post an interview with blogger friend Lorrie Ransom. If I remember it well, I came across her blog Grow Up Deep through Lynn Mosher's blog and I have been following her for a few years now. A few weeks ago Lorrie wrote a real good article/review about my latest book Grace of Giving and I wondered how to possibly thank her... Well, I finally decided to put her in the spotlight, she deserves it. Her blog is a colorful mixture of poetry, devotions, thoughts and pictures, I just love it and hope you'll pay her a visit!  Please, enjoy this blogger-interview!

Please, introduce yourself… anything special we need to know about Lorrie Ransom?
Let me first say how wonderful it was to get your invitation for an interview. I’ve never been interviewed before… and I’m stuck on the first question! Something special about me? I really don’t think there is. I’m just an ordinary person doing ordinary things.

How and when did you start your blog? 
I started GrowUpDeep in September of 2008. I was visiting ChristianWriters.com quite a bit and was inspired by our mutual friend, devotional writer, Lynn Mosher. We started one about the same time. I think I loved the challenge of crafting the site itself as a much as did the idea of having my own place to write at.

What is your drive behind blogging? What do you hope to accomplish? 
When the gospel first came to me it was comparable to the seed that fell on the rock in the parable of the sower. Luke 8:13 says that… the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear the word, receive it with joy. But these have no root; they believe for a while, and in time of testing fall away. Sad but true, I went from being joyful and assured to being stuck somewhere between the old me and the truth I knew to be sure. It was hard for me to forgive my own failures so I lived in the “land of the self-condemned.” I’ve since learned how awfully prideful and dumb that was! God’s word is full of Grace and Mercy and forgiveness. Satan would have us think we’re done for when we fail but nothing could be further from the truth. Jesus came and died to save us from our sins!
When I started my blog I based it on Eph 4:14… so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. I named it GrowUpDeep with the idea that I wanted God’s word to fall on good ground instead of rocky. I wanted deep roots and I wanted to grow up to be a mature Christian woman. On my blog I say that I am trying to balance abandonment. To me that means living and dying all at the same time; learning hard truths but not becoming hard. To be childlike but not childish. This is what I am hoping to accomplish.

You have a passion for writing, poetry and art, is that the right order? 
Oh, I think they all go hand in hand for me. I probably spend as much time looking for the right picture for my pieces as I do in writing them. All three are art to me.


Do you have any aspirations to publish your work? 
I have had some poetic works published here and there but haven’t been too proactive about seeking publication for quite some time. I do have aspirations to complete a current work of non-fiction about pride. When I get it done I hope to send it out for consideration.

What role does your faith in God play in your daily life
It plays a role in every single moment of my life. My desire is to be led “in the way everlasting.” I hold fast to Proverbs 3:5-6… trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path.

List your three main strengths and your three main weaknesses.
My greatest personal weaknesses are pride and regret. I would say that my greatest writing weakness is time. I’m not able to come home from a demanding work day and unwind with the flip of a switch into a creative mode.
My main strengths come from being raised by wonderful parents who taught me all the sensible things that are not so common anymore. If I have any real strength, it must certainly be in those times when I am able to love others.

Top three on your ‘things-to-do list…
  1. Retire. That is a huge goal for me right now. My husband is retired and I would love to be able to have more time with him. I like to imagine that I would be much more creative given all those early morning hours I would have to myself. Just me, my coffee, my computer and no clock to watch! 
  2. Move to Wyoming. 
  3. Serve in some capacity on behalf of the persecuted church or to be involved in worthy ministry. I’m in listening mode right now about that! 
Do you have any authors or specific books that have been an inspiration to you? 
Randy Alcorn’s book Safely Home; the character Li Quan will be with me forever. It’s about the persecution of Christians in China. Along that same vein, I would also have to include Foxe’s Book of Martyrs. I love Francine Rivers’ books. I especially enjoyed her Mark of The Lion trilogy. There are many others, your most recent among them.

Any words of encouragement?
Yes. Abide in Jesus.

Thank you Lorrie for sharing a little bit of your (blogging) life with us. My blog certainly looks better with your lovely smile on the front page :) Feel free to visit Lorrie's blog GrowUpDeep and leave her a kind word or two, I promise her blog is worth a visit. Later on this week I will continue with the series on Kingdom basics.

Let's encourage one another daily!

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview! I love the questions and the answers. :) Thank you, Marja, for introducing us to Lorrie.
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen, thanks for stopping by. It's fun to put a spotlight on fellow bloggers from time to time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wyoming sounds wonderful but I guess you need to retire first. Good luck and I pray you are able to continue on with your passions. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marja - I'm grateful and honored that you would make space for me here at your blog place. You have always been an encouragement to me.

    Diane - never know. With my job I could possibly transfer to Wyoming and retire there!

    Blessings all ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lorrie, you're so welcome! The interviews are a great way to get to know blogging friends a little better and promote their writing efforts!

    Diana, your visits are always a blessing, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Marja, I am so happy to see Lorrie interviewed and for her first time by you! Two of my all-time favorite people! And thanks so much for the mention. I'm honored. Love you two. Blessings to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you came over Lynn, it seems both Lorrie and me were inspired by your blog at about the same time! Lorrie's writing is exceptionally good and I want to encourage her to keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marja & Lorrie -

    Excellent interview! I never thought of my blog as my own special place to write, but I guess that's an apt description. :)

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes Susan, I never thought of it either, but I guess our blogs are our desks...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.