Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Highly valued among men

All things of earthly value will not impress God
What is highly valued among men is detestable in God’s sight
Luke 16:15
Ouch! Jesus knew how to silence a crowd! He must have had everyone gasping for air when he said the above words. They were His closing statement on a long debate about money. It doesn’t say in the Bible whether the people argued with Him after these words, most likely everyone went home in deep thought about this fundamental Kingdom principle. I believe His words still have the same impact today; for one thing, they will make us think!
What do we regard as ‘highly valued’ in our society? Education, career, a famous name, wealth? In a way, it doesn’t matter what we come up with, for all things of earthly value will not impress God. That makes me wonder why we do spend so much time and effort to reach goals that might impress our fellow men, but are of the least importance to God. Education, career, money… Yes, they are a healthy part of our life as stewards here on earth, but they should never be our main focus! We must be careful not to get carried away! The Bible teaches in 1 Timothy 4:7-8 that we should train ourselves to be godly, because godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life an the life to come! Training to be godly cannot be done according to a 5-step plan nor will we graduate after 4 years. It is, however, very promising to know that this education has value for all things!
Let’s reverse our priorities!

4 comments:

  1. Another fantastic post. I think this is clearly an issue in today's MTV world. How can you explain our facination with gossip magazines or television shows like Cribs. I myself am a work in progress. I am working on my priorities and that is to say I am following them up with actions. Thank you Marja I appreciate these posts. I like them because they make me think and reflect on my own life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Santiago, we have a lot of thinking to do indeed! Titus 2:12 is an interesting scripture too on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This moves me today. My women's bible study group is in Philippians and it is an amazing study in how constant and focused and abandoned to God Paul was. NOTHING mattered to him but pleasing the Father and spreading the gospel. I am so much wanting to be completly sold out like that! Thanks for your confirming post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful Post, Marja.
    Our priority should be to grow like God work for God and be totally in love with Him.
    It sounds simple but it is quite hard really.
    Blessings, Wyn.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.