Monday, January 16, 2012

Church as we know it

The church as we know it is in trouble, big time. Not because of persecution or hardships, but because we've made a mess of things and we forgot to read the Book. There's fighting, debating, corruption, abuse and apathy, all at the same time. The media loves it and Jesus is crying. He must be, because the church was His idea!

The church as the body of Christ on earth, now that He is in heaven, what a brilliant idea. His work continues, we're moving, loving, serving and working. The church, His beloved bride to be. Where did we go wrong? We do know the church the Bible talks about is not a building, but a group of believers coming together. Yet, often we don't know how we should be coming together. Of course, we have programs on how to plant a church, maintain a church,  emerge a church, do church and even on how to grow a church. We have traditional, contemporary, Spanish, renewal, healing and worship services. We have services for young and old, for kids and teens, for seniors and singles. You name it, we'll make it happen, you'll get a comfortable seat and feel right at home.

I am studying 1 Corinthians 12 and when I came to verse 28 I thought about the people that we think should make up a church: a pastor, some elders, a worship team, Sunday school teachers and a deacon here and there. That would be a good start, right? Hopefully the pews will fill up with people who are willing to sit still and listen. However, according to what Paul writes to the Corinthians, church should be a little different:

  • And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles,
  • second prophets,
  • third teachers,
  • then workers of miracles,
  • also those having gifts of healing,
  • those able to help others,
  • those with gifts of administration,
  • and those speaking in different kind of tongues.
Hhmm, when was the last time you saw a worker of miracles in your church? I mean, seriously! Or a prophet? Let's be honest, do we really take these instructions seriously? If God appoints these people, where are they? Are you one of them maybe?

I know the Bible says a lot more about gifts and services in the church, but in this Scripture Paul writes very clearly about the 8 kind of workers God appoints in the church, any church... Can you imagine what church would be like if we would operate in these gifts whenever we would come together? Wow...

16 comments:

  1. My family and I have been discussing this very thing lately. "These signs shall follow" and "Greater works than these" come to mind. It is surely a matter of prayer on our part. It's good to challenge one another along these lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Karen, your comments are always so valuable... prayer will change things, yes! I am excited about the church, but also sad at certain times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:48 AM

    I am constantly speaking these very word my heart cries to see believers function together on the highway and byways,And the widows get their portion at the alter when tithing is given etc the word is very different then the church

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The word is very different from the church"... that is often the case Hannah. It must change, we must pray and most of all go back to the Word. Thanks for visiting my friend (I cannot open your profile for some reason).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a good word. Our church is experiencing growing pains in these areas. We know these are important and are believing that God's presence, through praise, and prayer will help bring them about. I agree, that's what the church should look like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marja:
    In I Corinthians 12:27 Paul writes, "Now, you are the body of Christ abd each one of you is a part of it." He seems to refer to the believers (plural.) I have taken it to be singular. I am aware of people thinking the church was everybody else except them. Something would happen and someone would say,"Where was the church? Why didn't it help these people?"
    I see part of the church trying to be the church of New Testament times but I also see people satisified with what mankind has made it. We can only ask God to forgive us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a teenager, I would say, "I don't want to hear about the revivals of the good ol' days. I want to see God working now."

    I did see a great deal during the Charismatic Renewal. All those gifts are in the church today, but all too often squashed by unbelief or people comfortable with the status quo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy, the growing pains might be a sign that something is changing, right?! Thanks for your comment, it adds value to the post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cecelia, that's a good one yes... where is the church basically means 'where was I?'

    Susan, thanks for your input too, status quo is indeed something I would like to avoid :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marja,

    This is a thought provoking and honest blog. Thank you! You have started my work week in a thoughtful mode and I plan to share this post, something we all need to remember. As I think of the people God has called to be in the church, I believe as the church, we need to be active in making this happen. Thank you!

    Lisa M. Buske
    http://lisabuske.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. {{sigh}} I wonder how sad this makes the Father's heart. I can only imagine. Such a thought provoking post and so true. Thank you1

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like biblically-based posts, like this one. And I love Romans 12! YOu did a great job on this chapter.

    Have you read Marva Dawn on Romans 12? She is an awesome writer. I have about 4 of her books and they are all great. A used copy of her book is on amazon now for only $1 plus shipping. Here's the link, if you are interested: http://www.amazon.com/Truly-Community-Romans-How-Church/dp/0802844669/ref=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326864389&sr=1-15

    I've used this book for a sermon series, and it was very helpful.

    Thanks for the recent visit to FAmily Fountain. wb

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see the gifts operate in my daughter's church in Tulsa, OK. We love to visit there, as well as Rhema Bible Church in Broken Arrow, OK. The Holy Spirit is free to flow, and wonders happen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lisa, thanks a million for visiting and leaving a comment. I could.t comment on yours... will check again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Lynn, I think it hurts the Father indeed, He's given us tools and we're not using them.

    Warren, thanks for the link, I'll check it out. And yes, I loved the pics you'd posted on your daughter's wedding.

    Jeanette, I am glad you see the Holy Spirit at work, I see it too, but not as often as I would like to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My church is dying and it doesn't have half of those workers. The denomination would keel over at the mention of talking in tongues.
    So where to now?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.