Friday, February 09, 2007

Doing Our Duty

Love is the fulfillment of the Law
Listen to what Jesus teaches us in Matthew 7:12

Do for others what you want them to do for you: this is the meaning of the Law of Moses and of the teachings of the prophets.
Treating others the way we want them to treat us is the meaning of the Law. Have you ever looked at it that way? To be honest, that one had me thinking for a while. Yet, it is so simple: I want to be loved, so I have to love others and in doing so I fulfill the Law. People have been discussing and debating the Law for ages and it all comes down to one simple question: how do I want to be treated? The answer to that determines my attitude toward others. The question therefore should no longer be: how am I going to respect the people who hurt me? How do I obey the ones that mistreat me? How can I do this? It is time to stop this struggle.
Our attitude should not depend on what other people did to us; it should be the result of what Jesus did for us! We are loved by Him and He expects us to do the same for others. It is time we stop thinking that we do God a favor when we are nice to someone-we are simply doing our duty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.