Thursday, October 19, 2006

Enlightenment

About the guidance of the Holy Spirit
Sometimes people ask me, 'Marja, isn't is difficult to write about the application and interpretation of bible verses? Doesn't that take years of study?' I understand that concern, we are so programmed to think that education is the only way to get knowledge. Don't get me wrong, it takes a lot of reading and studying to learn more about certain things; I study the bible seriously on a daily basis. But we should not forget that as New Testament believers we received a gift, a helper, a teacher in the form of God's Spirit. When reading the bible, I rely upon the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the same Spirit who inspired the authors at that time, in order to understand what God wants to teach me. I simply ask God to open my eyes for His Word the way the Psalmist did in Psalm 119:18,

Open my eyes, so that I may see the wonderful truths in Your Law.
I know it is necessary for my spiritual eyes to be opened for the secrets of God's Word. Jesus did the same thing for the disciples as we can read in Luke 24:45

Then He [Jesus] opened their minds to understand the Scriptures.
It is a turning point in the bible. Jesus then tells His disciples to wait for the power of the Holy Spirit to come down upon them. We know that after Jesus' departure it is indeed the power of the Holy Spirit that opens our eyes. He is still willing to do the same thing for us today.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:28 AM

    In line with this article is written in John 3:27 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it have been given him from heaven. and Matthew 16:16 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
    17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jonah: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father who is in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is so true, those scriptures are proof! In my 2nd book (that is soon to be released) I talk a bit more about revelation from the Father. Think about it; Jesus calls Peter 'blessed' because he received revelation from the Father. We can be blessed too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.