Thursday, January 12, 2017

Give me an S

In my Bible Alphabet Blog Series S stands for Silence.

In our loud and noisy world, where everything and everyone is crying out for attention, silence is more precious than silver or gold.

Havoc and destruction in a big bad world closes in on us, sometimes making us feel very small and insignificant and ever so often tired and anxious ... and then suddenly, in the midst of the storm, calmness is standing right there: Jesus Christ. The situation on the Sea of ​​Galilee two thousand years ago fits the scenario of our time:

And suddenly a great tempest arose on the sea, so that the boat was covered with the waves. But He was asleep. Then His disciples came to Him and awoke Him, saying, “Lord, save us! We are perishing!” But He said to them, “Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?” Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. So the men marveled, saying, “Who can this be, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?” (Matthew 8:24-27).

He is the man of the 'great calm' and we can call on Him any time to quiet our minds.

Strangely enough we may yearn for silence, but at the same time be afraid of it. That should not be necessary, because we can learn to enjoy silence. For example by keeping a notebook at hand and writing down the words God will speak. Then silence once again becomes precious time spent in His presence, where there is fullness of joy!. 

Unfortunately, silence no longer comes naturally in our world. We must consciously seek it, chase it and create a special place and time for it. The psalmist writes (Psalm 131: 2):

I have calmed and quieted myself, like a weaned child who no longer cries for its mother’s milk. Yes, like a weaned child is my soul within me.

Seek silence this week and listen ...

6 comments:

  1. Marja: Thank you for this timely message. In our world, we sometimes choose to have noise, television, radio,or music playing, fill our space. When we realize we need to hear God, we begin to appreciate silence. I prefer to rise fairly early in the morning so I can enjoy my time with God. It is quiet in our home, Hubby doesn't sleep through the night and sleeps when he can. I find myself missing the peace and the quiet of a silent house when I sleep in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Cecelia, I love a silent house to be honest with you. We do not have tv or radio, but soft worship music in the back ground from time to time. I actually learned to appreciate silence while we were in Southern California, where we had a big house where I had a lot of time to think and pray. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Cecelia.

      Delete
  2. Hi Marja! I love spending time in the quiet. It helps me to calm myself, and to open my ears to God. It does get hard to find the time to do it, there's no question about that. Sometimes, I have to schedule it in my day! But, it always makes me happy.
    Thanks for visiting me, and have a wonderful day,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I need to calm down, I force myself to get quiet and listen :) it always helps. Thanks for stopping by Ceil.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Over the years, I have found that I prefer the quiet to the bustle I once loved. It grounds me and reminds me of purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'It grounds me...' I think that's it Terri, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

      Delete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.