Monday, March 03, 2014

Physical exercise and more...

Today I am reminded of a blog post I wrote several years back. I think it will be a good start of your Monday :)

"As I spend many hours working behind a desk, I enjoy a good work out. It takes me half an hour on my bicycle to get to work and when the weather permits it, I go for a power walk during lunch time. But nothing beats a spinning lesson at my local gym! The exercise strengthens and excites me and quite often I feel much better afterwards.

Reading through Isaiah I stumbled upon a verse that talks about biblical strength, In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength (Isaiah 30:15). Now, that's a total different story!

Although I am all for physical exercise and building up some muscles, I also realize that our real strength is not physical. It is not intellectual or mental either. The Bible teaches that our strength is in quietness and trust. I really had to think that over because it goes so much against the standard the world has set. Real strength cannot be measured according to the worldly standards. It cannot be found in exercise, education, status or importance. Real strength is in God and in godly attributes like quietness, trust and joy (Nehemiah 8:10).

It is with the psalmist that we can cry out to God: Strengthen me according to your word (Psalm 119:28)

When we can stay quiet during arguments or difficult times, when we can trust God (Read: when we do NOT worry) when all goes wrong, then... we are showing strength. The apostle Paul's prayer for the believers is this: I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being (Ephesians 3:16). What a great prayer! The Holy Spirit will strengthen us with power in our inner being."

Don't you just love it when Monday starts like this?!

12 comments:

  1. Indeed thought provoking material Marja. I do think that it is important to have both healthy minds and bodies so we can do the work that is required of us by our God. A mind that rests in God and is strengthened by the Holy Spirit and a body that is fit and well cared for are both tools needed to spread God's Word effectively. Both 'work outs' a MUST if we are to fulfill our calling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we cannot separate the spiritual from the physical, to be honest. So I am trying to stay in shape... in all area's of life :) Thanks for stopping by Anita!

      Delete
  2. Marja: I have a dear friend who is going through a difficult time in her neighborhood right now. I will send her a link to this blog entry. It has her name written on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing and caring Cecelia, I hope it will encourage her!

      Delete
  3. That's a good reminder of where our strength and rest should come from, Marja. Thank you. It comes from our salvation being obtained and settled through Jesus' death on the cross. And then, flowing from who he is, and what he promises us too.

    Nice,
    Jennifer Dougan
    www.jenniferdougan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need these kind of reminders all the time Jennifer :) Thanks for visiting again.

      Delete
  4. This is indeed a good start to the week. I like the analogy you used. I love to take a brisk walk (I was thinking that earlier today, actually, while walking out to the mailbox!). How fitting that we should compare it to our spiritual exercise, which is so much more important. Wonderful things to ponder, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Karen. In Holland we do not have mailboxes in the driveway (well, we do not have driveways for that matter, haha), but we use bicycles when we go out in the street, also a great exercise! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. I like this truth from Isaiah because so often we think our salvation is dependent on what we do, rather than trusting the Lord to work in our hearts. It's hard for me to rest in Him, but I am learning! Thanks for this reminder, dear sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning, still learning to take life day by day, and rest in the evening when the day is over. Be content and not think about all the things I didn't do...

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this, Marja. You mentioned being joyful, aside from being trusting and quiet. I read once that being joyful is a choice. It takes strength at times to choose to be joyful in the face of life's difficulties. Joy brings peace, as an added bonus. Once we have peace, we can focus on spreading the Lord's love to others in furtherance of our command to "love thy neighbor."

    This discussion reminds me of Paul's words in 2 Timothy 1:7: " For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline."

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janette, thanks so much for adding those words, it makes each blog post better! Joy brings peace, that is so true!!!

      Delete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.